Building Your Voice – Lesson One

Your voice is the main tool you will be using to build your radio career. I won’t say it’s your only tool because to have a lucrative radio career you must be able to think and act quickly and logically. Your voice is what gets you the job and what gets the job done. So, you can see how important it is to have a good voice. Let’s start off by dispelling a fallacy about your voice and radio broadcasting. You don’t have to have a big, booming, bass voice to get a job in radio!

What you do have to have though is a pleasant, smooth and articulated voice. You must also have a communicative delivery. I’ll show you how to perfect that in the chapter on announcing. If you are using your voice properly you’ll usually never strain it. Look at all of the big names in music. These people do concert after concert without straining their voices. They can do this because they know how to use their voice. It’s like a tool to them. Just as a carpenter knows how to saw board after board with perfect straight edges, a singer knows how to use their voice night after night with perfect precision. Let’s start off with some basic don’ts about using your voice. Normally I wouldn’t begin with anything negative, but I don’t want you to form any bad habits at the beginning. These are the most common mistakes that are made by those who are first learning top become a radio announcer.

DON’Ts

Don’t talk through your nose:
Try to make everything you say come out of your throat and not through your nose. A nasal sounding voice is a real turn off to your listening audience.

Don’t breathe in through your chest:
Expand your diaphragm as you are bringing air into your body. Contract your diaphragm as you are pushing air out to speak.

Don’t project too loudly:
Don’t yell into the microphone. You should always announce at the level you normally speak. The era of the “yelling jock” died many years ago. Audiences today want an announcer who will communicate with them in smooth pleasant sounding voice.

Don’t put on a false voice:
Don’t try to make your voice a bass voice if you naturally talk in a baritone register. Besides straining your voice, you will sound very unnatural and uncommunicative. Use the high, low, and medium pitches of your voice in the range you naturally talk.

Don’t mumble when you are talking:
Besides being grossly irritating, mumbling is the easiest way to lose your first radio job. Don’t be shy when you open the microphone. Talk to your audience as if you were sitting down with a good friend and having a conversation. You can turn the microphone up if your voice is naturally soft. After you practice the voicing exercises though you shouldn’t have a problem projecting your natural voice.

Don’t talk too fast:
This goes along with the last one. Don’t be shy or nervous when you open the microphone. You can always tell a first-time radio announcer by the pace of his talking. There is plenty of time to say whatever you want to say. If there isn’t, just cut something out. Remember, most people tune into the radio to hear the music they like. They don’t tune in to hear you talking, especially if they can’t understand what you are saying.

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

Gaurav Arora August 16, 2011 at 7:37 am

After reading all these lesson of do”s and dont” , i really liked it …….and basically i am doing my graduation in B.B.A in which i have no interest in doing so but due to my family business i am doing this which my family wants me to do but as a childhood passion i want to see myself as a radio jockey and thats why I used to communicate with the people more and more so that it would help me in my practical life , sometimes in front of mirror too i used to communicate as if i used to take myself as in position of a RJ which also helped me too but not aware about the things of Do”s and Dont”s to become a RJ ……..HOPE FOR THE BEST SO THAT I FIND MYSELF ONE DAY AS A RJ.

sunny August 18, 2011 at 9:55 am

Wonderful information. Thanks a ton. It really helped me.
Basically I am from Punjab and looking for a Job as Radio Jockey in Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Gurgaon, Punjab, Chennai or in any metro city. I would be glad and thankful to you if you can help me to get a job as RJ.

Sunny

tanu August 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

Dear Sir
What is the salary of a Radio Jockey.
from where i can do a course in radio jockey. Preferably a short term course which can get me an RJ Job.
Right now i am doing BBA but don’t have any interest.
I want to be an announcer with Radio Mirch, Red Fm or Meow.
Plz guide me…

Tanu

kanishka August 20, 2011 at 5:14 am

dear sir tell me some thing about salary of a radio jockey

charu thukral August 19, 2011 at 6:49 am

Dear sir,
Good to read the voice lesson.i m a 30 year old hosewife in delhi.i have good voice and communication skills too.
i want to be an rj but dont know anything about it.can you tell me some short term courses required for this which i can easily manage along with my house and my kid.i am looking forward to it as a hobby and not as career.pls hlp.
charu

sathishkumar August 27, 2011 at 4:39 am

really i love this feild like anything…….by this way we can make others to happy:-)can u pls help to became as rj

aditi August 27, 2011 at 4:31 pm

sir,

i am a student of 11th standard and very much interested in taking this as a career option in future..
i have a vice quality in me and a ability to attract people toward me.. and they feel plaesure in listening to me.. i dont say i can b the best.. its just that i can give my best

i need some correct guidence.. so please tell me soething about thaa..

aditi

Shalini October 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

Sir,

I’m Shalini from Coimbatore. I have completed my bachelors degree in Microbiology.
But i’m so interested in Radio jockeying. And its my passion also.
I have an good tonal and i can entertain the people as much as i can this.
So please if there is a vacancy kindly inform me.

Priyanka October 17, 2011 at 7:13 am

sir,

i need some correct guidence.. so please tell me soething about thaa..

Priyanka.

prasad October 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hi ,
CAn any one help with the corses avail in RJ feild..as working in BPO quite often i was advise to join RJ feild from my Vn A trainer.I too have liking ..plz help to excel

jaya patil November 10, 2011 at 8:11 am

sir
i have good voice and communication skil i want to be rj please give me the proper guidence..

patrick njehia November 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

the lessons are very interesting but if only you could also say something about making an effective adlib i would very much appreciate it

ganesh rjaiswal November 17, 2011 at 9:43 am

i m working with tata photon as sales executive
i have completed my t.y.bcom in 2010.
where i cando courses of radio jockey in mumbai.
plz suggest me institute name in mumbai.

Tani December 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hey,hi!
Talking too much is my hobby. I love to talk too much. N many suggested me for rj. But i dnt knw anything abt rj. So, can anyone tel me any course or wt for become an rj…?
Thanx

Moses December 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I want to be an RJ @ RED fm Hyderabad

SUMIT SAGAR December 19, 2011 at 7:33 am

HI

I AM B.COM STUDENT & MY CAREER Filed ONLY RJ SO sir in any job radio releated pl massage my id sumitsagar02@gmail.com

Umesh January 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Dear , sir

hiiiii i am umesh. from mumbai…i m in 11th standerd… i love to talk people…it’s my hobby… i have a good voice quality… in me… i don’t say i can be the best.. it just dat can i give my 100%…and Rj is my dream… so tell me more n more info. abt Rj … so plz tell me sir…Thank u… mein rj banana chahta hoo…it is my dream… :)

swati January 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

thanx!!!! for giving such agreat guiedence

sonali January 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

Dear sir,

Good to read the voice lesson.i m a 21 year old . iam student in ratlam m.p.i have good voice and communication skills too.
i want to be an rj but dont know anything about it.can you tell me some short term courses required for you. plz help me .
sonali verma

Abdul Qureshi January 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Hi Sir,

I am passionate about Radio Jockey Career, and i love to talk , host shows and communicate with the people
whenever i see somebody hosting any show at that time i feel as if i am the only one who is hosting this show,
i am working in BPO however please someone help me to get into this industry of RJ.

S.m. Noman February 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Hi,
I want to be RJ.because i love it and it is my dream.what to do be me.

Navas. February 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

Thnk u sir.. I would like to gtng a Rj,because I am rly intrstng to interact people from different localities,nd who have different charactor. My friends are alwys saying dat my sound s vry nice to here thrgh phone,and I’v an experience to wrk as a call cenre executive in !dea cellular Ltd.is there s any courses to hlp me to geting a Rj?

Amrit March 14, 2012 at 3:05 am

Its my dream to become a rj. Bt unfortunately my family is agenst of it. now a days m preparing for banking bt not hv more intrest… Sir what should I do, plz sugest me…Amrit

roni March 14, 2012 at 6:00 am

Actually i don’t have a potential wish to be rj but i am keenly desired to be confidential to disclose anything everywhere on any regarding issue.So above suggesion will be so effective for me.Really to be a good presenter i wanna grow up lot of confidence.

gourav das podder March 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I want to be an RJ @104.0 fever

gourav das podder March 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm

plsssss reply
with regards
gourav…….

jyoti April 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

i m jyoti rawat n my dream is to bcom n rj bcuzzz m hvng an attractive vioce i can convince anyone vry easily i just wnt a chance to enter in dis radio industry line. its my passion to be n rj i hv done bba from ip university….

R J INTERNS July 3, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hi all,,

budding RJ.s We provide you an opportunity to to brush up you skill at our Radio station as an INTERN.
we would not be paying anything.Yes we will give you certificate of internship which will boost your career prospects as an RJ.and yes extraordinary intern might land up with a job with us .

If interested pls write back to us and fix appointment for audition.

areuradiojockey@gmail.com

Avanish

Priya kashyap July 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thank you for this voice information. I am a B.A(prog) student and i have to become an RJ i am crazy to be RJ.. Please informe me how could i get the job in RJ.

Nibedita Bhattacharya July 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi..
I am a talkative person,talking too much is my hobby u can say.
I am a student of B.A. in English hons.
to be a Rj is my dream,many frndz suggests me for rj.So i want to be a rj.
can u plz help me on that..please give me all the details..
Thanx.