Putting It All Together – Lesson Eight

Well, that’s it! You’re almost ready to go out and get your first job in the exciting field of radio broadcasting. All we have to do is put together your resume and audition tape.

Writing a resume to acquire a broadcasting position isn’t much different than writing one for any other job. You’re probably saying “I don’t have any experience!” Well, that’s not exactly true. I’m going to show you how to get experience without getting a job in broadcasting and then how to bring that experience alive on your resume. There are a few rules about writing your resume that you need to remember though.

Always be accurate about your broadcasting abilities. If you say you can do something, make sure you can do it. If you can’t, the person interviewing you might find out and it could ruin your chances of working in radio. You may get a bad name for yourself before you even get started. The broadcasting community is very tightly knit and word travels fast among program directors. That’s why you must always be accurate about your broadcasting abilities.
Just because you’re accurate, it doesn’t mean you can’t be creative about your experience and education. I’ll explain this in further detail in the sample resume.

Don’t be too specific about dates. Just give the starting month and year and the ending month and year. Never include the specific day you started or ended a job.

Don’t get to intricate about your job descriptions at places you have worked. Just give the basics. In the interview you can tell the program director all about the specifics.

Always use broadcast words for your resume headings. For example, instead of “Job Experience” use “Broadcast Experience” as your heading. This puts the reader, of your resume, in the right psychological mind-set.

Always include a well-written cover letter and a well produced audition tape with your resume. If it is possible, write your cover letter personally to the program director of the station you are applying.
Don’t get discouraged if you get turned down for a job. If you get one rejection, two rejections, even ten rejections don’t let it get you down. Keep trying and apply at every station you can think of and blanket the city you are applying in with your resume, cover letter, and audition tape (CD).

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

ishan August 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

i m the guy in ORANGE shirt in d above linked video. I m a fresher and have been loving to performing my comedies and mimicry on stages of various colleges . i would love to be a radio jockey and is ready to work “haaardest” for that.

Saloniya October 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I love 2 be an radio jockey. Right nw im studying in 10th n aftr fnshing dis.I ll try my level best 2 be an RJ.Thank u..

NOOR KHALIQ October 17, 2011 at 4:51 am

very nice but sir am very much fond of being R.J SO PLEASE SOME VERY BASIC TIPS

Mohit November 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm

sir i dont have an audition CD, can i apply without it?
is it manadatory? if yes, plz suggest how to get 1..

Sampathkumar November 18, 2011 at 5:20 am

I am interested in Achoring very much

Dancing, Acting,Writting, Dialogs,Mimicry,Anchoring,Dubbing.Voice over…

Adhila December 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

how to prepare a resume for an RJ?

SANDHYA January 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

hey……………….me sandy Passionate to be an RJ to entertian people by my hyderabadi language. looking forward to be as soon possible

sandhya January 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

hey……………. me sandy Passionate to be an RJ to entertian people by my hyderabadi language. looking forward to be as soon possible

Divya March 3, 2012 at 7:06 pm

i m mad for becoming a radio jockey , pls help me out , revert me as soon as possible .

Maina March 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm

How 2 get a job o0v Rj??

JOTIKA June 7, 2012 at 4:24 am

I Never participate in any school or college function . but still i am very fond of being a gud R.J.I am confident that if i will do hardwork then i will be sucessful. but i have no knowledge about it .but i want to be a gud R.J .Please give some suggestion

ZEBA ASIF September 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

I am called for audition at 30th sep. But I have no resume and any experiences.Even I have not joined any course related to radio jockey.I am the student of BSc MLT 1st year in jamia hamdard university and new in delhi.I wanted to know how audition is occur so I applied but I do not about it anything.So I do not want to go for audition.Please sir give me knowledge about what is the requirement for audition.And how can I BECOME A RADIO JOCKEY?